Friday, April 26, 2013

In The Stillness review


In The Stillness by Andrea Randall
 Review by Tamara

Natalie is a wife.
Natalie is a mother.
Natalie is a cutter.

Clawing at walls built by resentment, regret, and guilt, Natalie cuts as an escape from a life she never planned. 
Staying present is only possible when you let go of the past. But, what if the past won't let go?
 
 
MY REVIEW
 
 
"But the thing about guilt is, no one can take it away for you; you have to unpack it yourself."

WOW. This book has touched my soul and I cannot stop thinking about it. 

I had read so many good reviews that I had to give it a go even though it didn't really sound like my cup of tea. I have never understood why people cut even though I am the type of person who can usually find a way to understand other people's choices in life. With this in mind I really wasn't interested in the subject matter.

I struggled through the first half of this book. Natalie was not a likeable character for most of this part of the book. What I did get though was her intense feelings of resentment and regret. I think most of us struggle with these types of issues at some points in our lives.

As the book progressed and Natalie started dealing with her issues I really started to enjoy it. And then I realised that the first half of the book was such an essential part of the whole story and the honesty from that part of the book really made the book what it became. I spent time thinking about the themes in the book and I realised that the author had written in such a way that it opened me up and made me look at some of the issues I have dealt with in my life, particularly some that happened years ago that I still haven't fully dealt with. And I believe that many readers will go through this process while reading this book. 

"I've learned that holding onto resentment and anger only poisons me. Forgiveness is the only way I have a shot of being healthy again."

Natalie became an inspiring character to me by the end of this book. I loved how the author took her on the journey to find a way to love herself again. I loved Ryker as well and their story but, for me, this book was all about one woman's quest to accept the choices she has had to make in her life and find a way to love herself in spite of them. 

"I don't mean that Ryker is the only person that can love you that way. I mean you're worthy of the kind of love found in the pages of those letters, Nat. You hear me? But, it needs to come from you, first. You have to love you, again."
When we read a book we all come at it from different angles and take something truly our own from it. You will perhaps get something completely different from this book than I got from it. That's what I love about books. I thank Andrea Randall for writing this book because it has touched me deeply and I know that what I take from it will help me greatly in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment